Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Two words: "Make up your damn mind"

OK, that's more than two words. Maybe I should have said "words evenly divisible by two"... Today, I read this:

November 14, 2006 -- Put this in your fry basket: The American Heart Association opposes Mayor Bloomberg's plan to ban trans fat in restaurants - breaking ranks with most health advocates.

"The American Heart Association is concerned that the ban of trans fat in restaurants in its current form may not be the best course of proposed action," the medical group said in written testimony obtained by The Post.

"We are concerned that there is the potential for unintended and adverse consequences, such as restaurants returning to the use of oils high in saturated or animal-based fat if healthier oils are in short supply," the association's Megan Lozito told the city Board of Health.

"These unhealthy substitutes also pose important health risks."


This is exactly what's wrong with the medical profession. OK, maybe not exactly, I mean, there's tongue depressors and digital rectal exams, but you know what I mean. Here we have an organization that says "Trans-fats are bad". Then someone goes out on a limb to ban them and they say "The alternative to trans-fats are bad".

Exactly what is being accomplished here? If I was Michael Bloomberg I would seriously consider flying to the headquarters of the AHA and pimp slapping the white coat off of the joker that gave this press release.

If trans-fats weren't the worst thing we could eat but not the best, then say that. But based on all the hoopla over the last year I am fully expecting to die of a coronary the next time I eat my toast with margarine.

1 comment:

Leila V. said...

We're doomed. There's no getting around it, we're all gonna die of cancer...