Thursday, November 30, 2006

Apparently I ate a pot brownie

Oh, to not begin with anything.
Shaft of a light. A warm breath and a scream.
Tamper if you like between the doors.
Can't expect to go out, to go out with anything more.

-Pearl Jam


The only thing assured in life is death. To most, this is a call to follow your bliss. To a hypochondriac this is proof that we should be freaking out RIGHT NOW! But, if its true that life is a journey, not a destination, then why isn't the destination worthy of the journey?

I mean, who would walk through a rain forest to get to a scorched desert? Who would walk down a beautiful beach to find rain? You'd never make that destination if the journey was all that great.

Maybe the lesson is that because life is a destination, we should enjoy the journey. Its more like walking down the hall in school when you're sent to the principle's office. That is the slowest you will ever walk in your entire life. You'll stop to inspect every brick, read every poster, and drink from every fountain.

I don't know where I'm going here. Lately, I've decided that I've been so focused on the journey that I've missed the fact that I'm hurdling toward the destination faster than ever before. Maybe hypochondria is a blessing in disguise. We, of all people, are fully aware at all times what is at stake. In many ways, that makes us luckier than most.

2 comments:

Lacy said...

VERY AWARE! More aware than I'd like to be some days.

You said you were a Christian in a post a while ago. So...then...you and I both know that the destination is not a "scorched desert" but an oasis.

This world ain't home, friend. Don't forget.

Leila V. said...

Uh, "my friend" wants to know where you got that brownie?