Friday, March 10, 2006

May all beings be happy

I hit a new chapter in my book on meditation.  Today's task was to meditate on LovingKindness.  The instructions said to think of some good deed that you've done in the past and remember how it felt.  Here's problem #1.

I'm sure I've done something good.  I'm a pretty nice guy.  Problem is, I can't remember a damn one.  I mean, I can remember simple things like giving a bum a quarter or picking someone up at the airport but that's hardly meditation worthy.  I need to save someone's life.  Or resuce a puppy.  Something.

The second task is to repeat the following alternately:

"May I be happy."
"May I have ease of being"
"May all beings be happy"
"May all beings have ease of being"

Other than being a mouthful (and sounding a little fruity) I like the idea.  Its like wishing yourself good luck.  And then the rest of the world.  And why not?  I could use a little luck.  Like Buddha said, 

"You can search forever to find someone more deserving of happiness than yourself -- but you never will."

No comments: