Tuesday, March 28, 2006

The future

An interesting article on Wired.com. It deals with DNA testing but it seems very related to the topic here; knowledge of the future.

More specifically, do I really want to know what will 'get me'. The author brings up some excellent points about what you would do (or HAVE to do) with the knowledge that you have a real likelyhood of a disease:

"But if you get bad news, you'll still have to cope with untidy ethical and political issues. Should you tell your blood relatives? After all, it's their DNA, too. The next time you apply for health insurance, you'll have to decide whether to disclose your genetic mark of Cain and risk getting turned down. (You could lie, but then - whoops! - you also can't tell your doctor, who could inform your insurer.) And if you're getting married, how much do you tell your betrothed?"

All excellent questions. Not to mention the big one. Do I really want to know how and (possibly) when I'll go? Would I be able to do anything about it other than obsess over my own personal countdown timer. "T-minus 12 years and counting..."

This is where it becomes relevant. The preoccupation I have with 'knowing' about my health. And the idea that I might actually be able to do something with that knowledge. As the article also says, even if you do know, what's likely to be the recommendation? Eat better, excersize more, take a couple pills.

I do that already...now what?

No comments: