Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Bruised and Battered

I've noticed lately that I've been bruising more easily.  Now let me just stop here for a moment and diverge.  The phrase "I've noticed lately" is hypochondriac code for "I've been freaking out recently".

It means that I've decided that something I never paid attention to is now of some great concern.  This is how things work in my mind.  Things that I notice such as a mole or a large outcropping of hair on my pinky go unnoticed for months maybe years until "all of a sudden" I notice them and start believing they're a new sign of some disease.  For example, the following is a list of things I've "noticed":

- I can see my veins pulsing in my neck
- I can see my veins pulsing in my arms
- I can see my veins pulsing anywhere I focus on for more than 15 seconds.
- If I sit really really still I kind of rock back and forth with my heartbeat
- I can hear my eyes move (Yes, you read that right.  I could write a book on this one)
- I have a brown spot on my foot
- When I walk up stairs I can hear my heartbeat

And finally

- I bruise easy

Things brings us to recent events.  Just so you know.  I take a martial arts class.  And I get beat upon about the face, chest, neck, head, ankle, and really any place you can imagine.  I have come home with mat burns and scratches on parts of my body I didn't even know were accesible. Yet, lately, I've started worrying that maybe I'm bruising too much.  Like I've got some sort of liver disease or some drug I'm taking is making me bleed easier.

Of course I have no proof of this.  I've never paid attention to bruises.  I'm a guy.  I'm supposed to be bruised.  But, as usual, when one 'affliction' runs its course, I have to find a new one.

No comments: