Wednesday, December 13, 2006

What is forever?

By definition, 'forever' is a long time. The idea of staying with someone or "sticking something out" forever has come up a lot recently in various aspects of my life. Right now it seems like its a little hypocritical to say I could be with someone forever. Obviously, I made that promise to someone and I broke it. At least, in a semantic way if not in practice.

The question is, can you really be expected to love someone, unconditionally, to your own detriment if necessary, forever. The question here isn't weather you can stay married forever. Its obvious that people, quite happily, spend their lives together "forever".

The question I have is, in a situation, like mine, or many others, should you stay together. Is it healthy to change who you are completely for another person? I'm not talking about picking towels up off the floor, or chewing with your mouth closed, I mean changing the essence of your being in an effort to please another person.

Should you change religions, vote Democrat when you're a Republican, endorse capital punishment when you're a pacifist, have an abortion when you're pro-life, become a recluse when you're a social person, etc.? Maybe the changes we ask of each other aren't this grand. Maybe we're never even asked to make these changes so much as believing that this is what the other person needs to be happy with me.

Forever is a funny word. When we promise it we really only mean until we die. A short time, by all accounts, but all the time we have. Its a promise not to take lightly and one, right now, I'm not certain we fully comprehend when we chose to make it.

No comments: