Friday, December 22, 2006

And the drama begins

I've debated seriously for some time about posting this. Even as I type it I keep telling myself that I will most likely delete it before its posted. I really fear many of you will lose respect for me even though, personally, I am happier each day about the decision. So, here goes.

I've met someone.

Wow, that was a little scary to type. The someone is a friend of mine that was helpful in making decisions lately. She is pretty much the same age, same socioeconomic (yeah, check that word out!) status, and is divorced with two children who are roughly the same age as my son. I feel the need to go back and state this for my benefit and yours. We in no way, neither expressed nor implied, had anything other than a platonic friendship before I left my wife. I can't stress this enough.

I think the reason I can't stress this enough is because, in a way, I'm trying to convince myself that I didn't leave my wife for another woman. I've said it before, I know I left her for "somebody" but, even now, I'm content in knowing that I didn't leave for a specific person. However, I think I might have left her for someone like this.

Now, before you fire up your keyboards telling me about rebounds, about how soon it is, about how I don't really know what I want, let me say that I know. I know all of that. I'm aware that this has little chance of working out in the long run. But, in some way, I know that this, whatever it is, feels really right.

Besides the boost in ego that I might actually be capable of loving and being loved again, there's something to be said for not being lonely while your...well...lonely. All the advice I get says that I should 'take some time to figure out who I am' which sounds good, but, in reality I don't understand. I mean, I know who I am, it says so on my license. So lets assume they mean so I can figure out what I really want.

That's easy. To be happy. This person is making me very happy.

Maybe it is too soon. Maybe I'm putting myself in danger of a difficult divorce if the wife finds out. Maybe I will just end up hurting myself and this person. But, the whole reason I left was because I believed (and still believe) that taking a chance on finding someone new was worth leaving my life as I know it. I just didn't expect to meet someone so soon or that that person might be someone I already knew.

Life has a funny way of working out. Of course, it also has a funny way of crashing in fiery balls of death. This could get interesting...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I'm happy if you're happy. No judgement here, the same could happen to any of us in your situation. It's actually really nice to read that you are experiencing some joy.

In a way it's not too soon because though you were with your wife until very recently, emotionally you were separated for quite some time. (It sounds like years.)

Thank you for sharing as you go through this complicated process. I am behind you all the way.