Friday, January 12, 2007

Carpe Diem

Let me see if I can recap 2006:

Freaked out. Got a shrink. Began sitting in dark rooms "just being". Went to the Dr. Tried to kick the BP drug habit. Freaked out. Went back on the stuff. Went to the Dr. Took my BP a lot. Freaked out. Went to the Dr. Somehow got better. Got officially old. Freaked out. Got bitten by Ants. Went to the ER. Went to the Dr. Freaked out. Itched. Itched some more. Left my wife of 12 years. Became content.

There it is. 2006. Forever known as a pivotal year in my life. Much more happened (and is happening) than covered here. Even though I believe in honesty, even I can't be that honest all the time. I hope your year is as earthshattering as mine. Hopefully not for the same reasons.

I've always found it a shame that I've had almost 12000 days on this earth and I only remember a small handful. We spend our lives moving from one day we don't want to remember to another. Along the way we do things and meet people that carve out little slices of memories in our head but, by and large, our days are forgotten. Those days turn into years and those years turn in to complete lives.

The title of this post was also my quote under my senior picture in high school. Carpe Diem. Seize the day. In 1992 I had no diems to show for myself. In 2006 I carpe'd the hell out of the diem. I hope you can do the same.

9 comments:

Lacy said...

this is a very extistential post, Dave.

How are things going with your new lady friend? Is it love?

dave said...

I think one of the great poets of the 20th century said it best:

"What is love? Baby don't hurt me."

Things are going swimmingly with her. Is it love...too early to tell. Could I see spending large portions of my time both now and in the future with her? Absolutely.

I will definitely post more when appropriate. Right now, I'm trying not to do too much too soon...

dave said...

P.S. Thanks for asking.

Leila V. said...

The best diem had to be you and the fire ants! How could you down play it? We all know they were ninjas.

dave said...

Personally, I think the ants seized me...

Anonymous said...

Can you point me to the ant post? I want to read it but am not sure which link it's under. Sounds funny!

Anonymous said...

Anonymous me again. I wanted to ask you about blogging like this. I want to set up an anonymous diary blog too but I am scared I'll be discovered. How did you set things up so they were kosher? What kind of advice would you give someone who wanted to get their carpe'd diem out on the internet for all the world to see? And how do you cope with being so wide open?

dave said...

Two things. One, you are never really anonymous. If you wanted, you could figure out who I was. The reality is that you'd have to want to find me to see my blog though.

The way I stay 'hidden' is by not telling anyone in 'the real world' about it.

I get most of my hits from Google, random blog surfers, awesome people who have linked me, and some web forums I post(ed) on with my link.

Second. Once you get over the initial hurdle of telling a 'secret' to the world, it becomes easier. Almost addictive in that 'the Internet' becomes a diary you know someone will read eventually, but hopefully after you die.

Try it. Its worth it.

Anonymous said...

Well that makes sense. I can keep a secret and not tell anyone; I would just hope that no one would stumble upon it and think my goodness, that sounds like xxxx's life. I like the idea of being able to share the stuff I'm feeling though. You've been an inspiration. :)