Wednesday, February 08, 2006

He really is mortal

Second part of the story from my visit. So I mention to him that I was thinking about taking the paramedic classes and asked him if he'd had any dealings with them in the area. Apparently, he heard something different than what I said:

Me: "So, have you had any dealings with the paramedics in this area and are they a good group of people?"

What he heard: "Do you think I should be a paramedic?"

He then goes on to tell me how, in light of my mental...eccentricities...that its a HORRIBLE idea. Beyond that, he begins to rattle off all the horrible things they have to deal with. Old people having strokes, bad car accidents, blood, guts, vomit, etc.

Here's where it gets interesting. He also tells me that many people who take medical training tend to believe they have the diseases they're studying. This I knew. He then goes on to say:

"I remember when I was in school...." Then he trails off for a second and says: "I mean I can't tell you how many doctors I saw thinking....." and then I think he realizes he's talking to a mere mortal.

So, at one point he was human. Maybe even a hypochondriac. I knew it happened but its weird to hear it out loud.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

so...whatever happened to that? Paramedic thing?