Thursday, January 05, 2006

So therapy was interesting. I found myself sitting there talking about my problems and hearing just how irrational they all sound. I wonder if other people go through that. It reminded me a lot of reading Ann Landers:

"Dear Ms. Landers,

I'm having a problem with my boyfriend. He's been stealing money from my purse, slipping me roofies, hitting on my 13 year old daughter and having all kinds of 'associates' drop by unannounced to buy some sort of 'tonic powder' that he sells. He's asked me to marry him (or give him power of attourney, either one) and I'm wondering, do you think this is a good idea?

Signed,

Unsure in Omaha"

When you read these you find yourself screaming at the paper "NOOOO!". Its obvious. And I always wondered how anyone could write a letter like that and actually mail it. I mean, how can you not see the answer staring you in the face? And then, I go to therapy and commence saying things that I know are causing the therapist to scream in her head "ARE YOU CRAZY!?!?".

I guess no one takes their own advice. Maybe that's the point of therapy. That you tell your problems to a complete stranger so you can hear how dumb they sound, get embarrased and try fix it so you'll never have to tell anyone those things again...

No comments: