Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A big leap

So I went to the Dr. yesterday to talk about some side effects I've been having from the recent musical drugs we've been playing for my blood pressure. Again he tried to push a beta blocker on me. I balked because of the reviews I've raid claiming that it makes you feel like you've got an anvil in your drawers. Not to mention the reports of people having heart attacks and strokes when they try to get off of them.

This does not sound like the drug for me. Not only that but he finally admitted that he agrees I have white coat hypertension. Of course he still wants to treat me as if I was going to stroke out at any minute. I know white-coat isn't benign and that it usually turns into sustained hypertension but I'm not ready to embark on 40 years (hopefully) of feeling like I've run a marathon.

He also mentioned the fact that I since I've lost so much weight that I can try and stop taking anything and see what happens. SOOOOO, that's what I'm trying. And let me tell you, if you thought I was worried about being ON BP drugs, I'm even more so about getting off them. Not so much that I'm worried I'll have a heart attack but that I'll find out I really do need them.

So, wish me luck. I didn't take it this morning. The stuff I've been taking takes days to get out of your system but I guess I'll know how I'm doing by the end of the week.

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

Lacy said...

out of curiousity...how much weight did you lose, and how didja do it?

dave said...

I got up to 249.8 (I would carry it to another decimal place if I could). At my "fighting weight" I'm at 192. Most of the weight loss, honestly, came through depression. However, once I lose it I keep it off with bike riding (150 miles a week or so) and trying to eat right. Being a vegetarian helps I think.

Lacy said...

That's amazing....I'm really impressed. I bet it feels better. I'm "trying" as well. *sigh Except, I eat when I'm depressed. Go figure.