Monday, May 22, 2006

The cure for hypochondria

I finished reading the book "The Hypochondriac's Guide to Life. And Death." today.  I have to admit it was pretty good.  Yes its filled with all kinds of crazy diseases and ways to "check" yourself.  So, if you're in a bad place right now, I don't recommend it.  However, if you can stomach reading about diseases then I'd really recommend it.

The author says he's found the cure for hypochondria and gives his version of it at the end.  I don't want to spoil it but its something I've alluded to here in the past.  There are two cures for hypochondria I think.  His (which I won't name) and death.

That's not as bleak as it seems.  Of the diseases of the psyche that you can have, ours is one of the least.  Constant worry isn't fun but its bearable.  It doesn't make you want to wear your underwear on your feet or climg the top of a bell tower and shoot at "demons".  This is a good thing.

First, I wear boxers and how would you keep those on your feet?  Second, I don't own a gun and I'm pretty sure that if you shot a demon he wouldn't notice it.  I mean, he's a demon...

Well, I digress.  Anyway.  Its a good book.  It has some actual laugh out loud moments.  One of my favorite is while he's getting an abdominal ultrasound and has a freak-out moment.  I laughed.  Try explaining that to your wife when she hears laughter coming from the bathroom.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks nice! Awesome content. Good job guys.
»