Thursday, March 01, 2007

I'm early

Figured I'd get in my post before I left for the day. I've joined a local gym so I can get Fergilicious. Or Davilicious. I don't know. I'm thinking I'd much prefer to look like Fergie than myself. Whoa. I think I just came out...

So this week I'm having to do evaluations for my employees. It sucks. I actually find it easier to tell people what they're doing wrong and how to fix it than I do to tell them what they're doing well and how to do it better. Maybe that's just male nature. We focus on the things that are broken and try to fix them. And if it ain't broke, hit it with a hammer until it is because it was going to fail on its own anyway. I think that's how the saying goes.

Anyway. Evaluations. My peeps are great. They do what I ask, when I ask, and put out great stuff. Can't ask for a better crew. So how do I improve it? And, since they're so great, how can I really go and comment on the, maybe, one negative thing about each of them. Is it really fair to give someone a 2 when everything else they do is a 4 (on a 1 to 5 scale)?

It also has me thinking that we should be reviewed in 'real life' from time to time. Those of us who are religious are expecting the 'big review in the sky' but that's not exactly what I'm thinking of. Nothing can humble a person more than to find out they're not so great at the things they think they are. And nothing can make a person's day more than finding out they're appreciated for something they were certain was being overlooked.

I could stand to do more of that in my relationships. I probably could have done that more in my marriage. I damn sure could have used a kind word now and again from "the Ex".

1 comment:

Lacy said...

exhortation and encouragement is essential.