Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Contracts 101

Lacy brought up some good points in my post that I thought I should clarify. I think I've mentioned before that I've questioned when it was 'OK' to break a promise. The short answer is, never. The long answer is, depends on who broke their promise first, how long it was broken, and what they did to try and fix it.

I have to constantly remind myself that it takes two to mess up a marriage (unless there's a third party, then it takes...ummm....two). I left. I broke the "until death do us part" portion of the vow. But what about the stuff before that? What about love, honor, and cherish? What about in sickness and in health, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer?

Why is so much credence given to the length of the 'contract' and not the quality. I find it a very interesting analogy that in business contracts the agreement can be terminated at any time if any of the tenets are broken. So who violated our marital contract? Was it me for leaving? Her for not cherishing? Me for not sticking around "for worse"? Her for not realizing we were actually in the "for better" portion?

This isn't an excuse, just a line of thought. I'm not saying I believe it. But then again, I left, so maybe I do.

1 comment:

Lacy said...

really good thoughts, Dave.

You are right...if someone is continually breaking their promises to you...and not showing any remorse or sign of changing, divorce is the answer so that you do not continually keep getting beat up.

Obviously, you've not made a rash decision....

good post!