Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Hypochondriacs Unite!!!

Actually, the title of this post should be "Hypochondriacs Unite (But wash your hands first because I don't want to get sick). But, I think that might be a little long. Anywho.

I got a comment that really put this blog in perspective. The gist of the comment being that the commenter is starting to blog their (notice the smooth usage of impersonal and gender non-specific pronouns) hypochondria as a way to see just how irational she/he/they are being.

Maybe this is why I do it. I don't know. Of course I know I'm irrational. Even though the idea that I know I'm irrational is actually a rational thought (wow). I think most people who are so 'afflicted' know they're irrational. I don't know that I've ever met a hypochondriac that truly thought they were sick 24/7. Its just those short (a relative term) periods of time where the fear and anxiety is overwhelming. Those are the times when you need a release.

Its important to get them out. I've said before that I don't think you should burden the general population with your (our) delusions. At least not the specifics (my toe hurts, I have a basil cell carcinoma, you know, the regular stuff). First off it makes that person very uncomfortable and not want to be around you. Secondly, they can't possibly understand and will either worry needlessly because you've conviced them you're sick, or just laugh and call you a moron.

Only one psycho can truly understand another. Even though the blog is cathartic for me, I really hope others can see that we all think the same way, we just have different diseases...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, so true. :)

Lacy said...

Hey Dave! I have a blog now! :)


http://lacysrealworld.blogspot.com/